South Brisbane is the suburb perched on the south bank of the Brisbane River, its central business districts are directly connected by the Kurilpa, Victoria and Goodwill bridges.One of the longest standing neighbourhoods of Brisbane, South Brisbane has many heritage-listed sites within its borders.
Visitors might seek out St. Andrews Anglican Church, whose construction started in 1878, or for a different cultural flavour, the Nepal Peace Pagoda, located on the site of the 1988 World Expo, which was responsible for the revitalisation of the neighbourhood.
South Brisbane is well connected to the city’s central business district. There are suburban train stations at South Brisbane and South Bank, as well as bus stations at Cultural Centre, South Bank, and Mater Hill. The CityCat ferry system serves the area as well, and the neighbourhood is linked to the centre by the Goodwill, Kurilpa, and Victoria bridges.
While most of Brisbane owes its origins to Scottish settlers or the 19th-century penal colony, South Brisbane is actually part of an area important to indigenous peoples. Together with the neighbourhoods of West End and Highgate Hill, it forms Kurilpa, or Water Rat. Musgrave Park, which served as a Murri congregation point and is the site of a buried bora ring, used in an initiation to manhood ceremony.